Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1078 Posts in 245 Topics- by 866 Members - Latest Member: Wjamnunsub

March 25, 2017, 06:30:15 PM
The Stribe Project - ForumGeneral CategoryhellobuildTopic: Foxy's 16 stribe monster - best wat to connect
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Foxy's 16 stribe monster - best wat to connect  (Read 18633 times)
fox
Intrigued

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 09:52:17 AM »

The layout has changed a bit to more look like this: I've been looking at ways of making the whole lot: Stribe, Arduinome plus Laptop(s) and any other hardware fit in a standard ottercrate suitable for carry-on -- the setup was just too wide by 4 inches. My initial plan was for a light, but moreover transportable system that I can set up in minutes, perform my gig and be gone, and I noticed non-minimal function creep starting so I'm going to reduce everything starting with the 192 buttons to 128 + LCD and 8 knobs.

The Stribe 16 will (as a consequence of the ribbon cable) have a big chin below the faders (like an iMac) the Griffin Powermate can remain standalone and sit on the chin and maybe add buttons if there is room. Maybe have room for two banks of 8.

The final part of this will be the Aurora mixer which can also have assignable knobs - so no loss if the Stribe remains like a minimal Xenome x 2. There's plenty of controller action going on here!

--
fox
Intrigued

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »

This is what the Stribe bar looks like with a sheet of smoked acrylics between the bar and the user. Its quite visible in daylight so it'll be fine in clubs where I will work in near total darkness.

This is the best iset trade off beyond which I go crashing on full draw.

Now all I have to do is wait for the cases to come back from the acrylics people. Monome, Stribe and Aurora projects will all be encased similarly (the Aurora I have yet to start)...

--
ultrajosh
Administrator
Master Striber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »

I love the smoked plexi w/ the orange looks awesome!

"Well you touch it and it makes sounds."
fox
Intrigued

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 01:56:35 PM »

Ok some progress as you can see:

So the work starts on getting these controllers finished so I am not resorting to performing with circuit boards in a cardboard box. 16 Stribe boards, one powered USB Hub and two Arduino controllers with a Curiousinventor shield/multiplexer per controller so its logically and physically 2 x 8 Stribe Faders.

I've made this very strong as I intend playing live with it. The only thing I need to return to screw wise is rubber grommets under the USB card and Arduino. Here half of the Softpot touch sensitive faders are in place with the other half waiting to go.

A portrait of the artist geeking out...

Assembled but not yet completed... or tested... Fortunately the recesses for the faders line up. The edge will have a perforated stainless steel strip. In the meantime I am making a Power supply to fit in the space provided next to the USB port. Might as well make it universal 110/240v -- with locking IEC socket.

--
fox
Intrigued

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 04:33:07 AM »

It lives!

Both sides of the 8 x 2 Stribe panes work. All I need do is get a version of the max/msp patch to make all 16 channels accessible -- perhaps see if it can be done in puredata. Any tips on getting all 16 working as 2 arduino-based units Scott? Josh?

This is going to be a lot of work for me. But so far so good. I've gotten this far... Its just some finishing touches and software from now in...

The lights look quite dim in the photo but with the lights down low (I play in almost total darkness when performing live) these are more than fine.

--
ultrajosh
Administrator
Master Striber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 05:56:02 AM »

WOW!   Cool

Nice work, that looks amazing!  It's like my grandchild or something.  All grown up...  Snif.  Wink

Really, really, amazing job.  I can't tell you how impressed I am that the plexi slots lined up on your first try.  I'm glad to make you a patch to address 2 stribes...  I haven't tried it myself but I have multiple Arduinos here so I'll fake it up and see what's needed. 

I can also try to hook in the monome stuff for you so you can communicate w/ your 128 from the same patch.  I've had varying degrees of success with this myself (running a monome and a stribe from same patch) and have several examples that you could start to play with (I'll go find them and post a link, or you can do a Search on this site if you just can't wait).  The most successful is the least elegant: run monomeserial, then launch mlr_stribed in Max - I think I posted a version that works with Stribe1s...

"Well you touch it and it makes sounds."
fox
Intrigued

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 01:02:30 PM »

that would be lovely, thanks. my email is fox@vixen.demon.co.uk

Re: The Monome stuff I have been waiting for the plastics for the Arduinome to arrive as there was an alignment cock up on the first plastics sheet but we reused it, cut bigger holes out of the same sheet and turned it into a sub-plate. Should be back tomorra and that's controller 2 ready for the stainless wraparound sides

In the meantime I am making my final controller (Buttons=Monome, Sliders=Stribe and Knobs=???)-- its an Aurora-alike based on the Hale Micro UMC32 USB interfacing card (I had an Aurora board but it got totalled by an unattended soldering iron and a cat) so thought I would do my own thing -- reusing the plastics etc...

Then I can get back to composing:

http://www.soundcloud.com/senster/sets

--
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Up
Print
The Stribe Project - ForumGeneral CategoryhellobuildTopic: Foxy's 16 stribe monster - best wat to connect
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic