Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1078 Posts in 245 Topics- by 866 Members - Latest Member: Wjamnunsub

May 28, 2017, 10:44:52 PM
The Stribe Project - ForumGeneral CategoryinfoaboutTopic: How to work on the Circuits and Hardware
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How to work on the Circuits and Hardware  (Read 5904 times)
ultrajosh
Administrator
Master Striber

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:54:55 AM »

The current-production stribe circuit is usually here: http://www.soundwidgets.com/stribe/circuits

The .pcb files can be opened in ExpressPCB, a downloadable circuit-design tool (http://www.expresspcb.com/).  It's basic, but it's free, and quick to learn.  I would've had to buy the Pro version of Eagle to design a board this large, meanwhile ExpressPCB is free.  Then you can download the latest prices and find out how much your design will cost in different quantities and options.  Very convenient for prototyping.

4 ways to help:

1 ) Add a new circuit to the proto area

Suggestions:

- A MIDI interface (remember, 5V .5A USB power - not sure what I'm already using, but you might need to add external power cause something tells me I'm right at the limit already.  But I'm just guessin'.

- 8 Control Voltage outputs to control an analog synth or other voltage controlled device (theremin x 8 )

- audio brain / audio out / audio in? - a teeny synthozoid device along with a preamp and stereo audio ins and outs, e.g. a thumb-sized audio brain

- dedicated logic circuit to replace Arduino stamps (USB and uC)

- Bluetooth? / wireless options (incl battery power, presumably)

2 ) Re-design, improve, or otherwise modify the Stribe circuit boards

I am a novice, the Stribe boards are my first circuit board designs ever, and hopefully they will amuse and not anger or upset any actual engineers or circuit-designers among you.  Please let me know if I'm unknowingly re-formatting hard-drives with it or breaking some cardinal rule of electronics or something.  (On the other hand, I was told there was no way I could run 1024 LEDs off USB power, and those guys were all really smart.)

3 ) Design and/or build a case for the Stribe

I have lots of ideas from picture frames to routed wood custom designs.  If someone who's good at drawing in the various CAD tools and wants to whip something up... 

Basic specs are the window needs to be 7" wide by 6.5" tall, and the driver board is 7.5" wide x 8.5" tall.  Future redesign may include reducing the size to a 7.5" x 7.5" square (once the logic circuit is integrated into the mainboard instead of removable Arduinos).  There needs to be a hole for the USB port.  I'd like a removable section at the proto area to allowed addition opf MIDI ports etc by user.  I want it to look good next to a monome.  Wood is nice, but I'm open to other (new/recycled/recyclable/DIY-able) materials, as well.

4 ) Integrate the Stribe hardware into your own design ...or base it on a different controller entirely, such as midibox, and just use the 1024 led display capability and the 8 sensor inputs.  Or maybe there''s a way to string multiple stribes together by adding external power, or a double USB cable, or...

So many ideas, so little time.

"Well you touch it and it makes sounds."
marekbuk
Intrigued

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 04:37:29 AM »

What is the resistance value of the softpots? - Spectrasymbol have several values in their data sheets.
ultrajosh
Administrator
Master Striber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 07:03:29 AM »

When I measure resistance from the center tap to the power tap, it acts like an 11.5K potentiometer, e.g a touch at the bottom of the strip send back ~11.5 Kohms and at the top of the strip it goes down to ~1K , then OPEN with no touch.

Note however that I am using these in "powered" mode for the Stribe, e.g. I run 5V into the power tap and measure 0-5V at the center tap.  It's much more sensitive in this mode and requires less pressure to get a reading.

The multiple specs on the datasheet might be for "hotpots" vs "softpots".  Hotpots are the yellow pots you see on some early prototypes.  I guess they cook them to increase durability or something.  Anyways I found the softpots (the clear ones) to be more predictable, and the hotpots were also brittle (I accidentally snapped the tail off a couple of these), as opposed to the softpots which seem nearly indestructable (with normal handling).

"Well you touch it and it makes sounds."
XNDR
Intrigued

Hello world!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 10:38:39 AM »

So, since this is my first post to this forum, I'd like to make it a useful one:

I just found this freeware PCB suite with a lot of options, called Kicad:

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/

Haven't installed it yet, but it looks interesting:
14 layers
component lib
3D view
autorouting
etc

It might be a nice alternative for the expresspcb software..
g.p.macklin
Intrigued

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 11:08:47 AM »

I went through the site real quick and the application looks very promising.

Nos omnes biberimus viridum toxicum diabolus capiat posteriora nostra
Pages: [1] |   Go Up
Print
The Stribe Project - ForumGeneral CategoryinfoaboutTopic: How to work on the Circuits and Hardware
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic